Postgame Notes: Army
Army Postgame Notes
• The Black Knights improved to 4-2 in bowl games in program history.
• This was the first bowl win since the 2010 Armed Forces Bowl, which was played at SMU, where Army practiced this week.
• Army went 2-1 in the Lone Star State this year with a win over Texas El-Paso and North Texas, while losing to Notre Dame in San Antonio.
• Jeff Monken became the third Army head coach to win a bowl game.
• Only former head coach Jim Young won a bowl game earlier than his third season with the Black Knights.
• Army reached eight wins in a season for the first time since 1996, when it went 10-2.
• Army wore black helmets and all-white uniforms for the first time this season.
• This was the first time in school history Army has played an opponent twice in one season.
• First game at the Cotton Bowl for Army since defeating Louisiana Tech, 35-16, in 2013.
• This was Army’s second bowl game in Texas.
• Army played a bowl game later than Christmas Day for the fourth time.
• Army leads the series 5-1 against North Texas.
• When Army scores first this season, the Black Knights are 6-2.
• Army is 7-1 this season when leading after three quarters.
• Monken improved to 14-23 as Army’s head coach.
• The Black Knights honored cornerback Brandon Jackson with a helmet sticker that featured the No. 28.
North Texas wore a helmet sticker with the No. 28 in honor of Jackson.
• Army coaches wore hats with the No. 28 on the side of them.
• Army, which began playing football in 1890, is now 671-513-51 all-time.
• Xavier Moss and Edgar Poe served as game captains and joined season captains Andrew King and Jeremy Timpf for the coin toss.
• Gervon Simon and Donovan Franklin carried two American flags into the stadium prior to the game as the scout players of the week.
• The Black Knights ran for a Heart of Dallas Bowl record 480 yards.
• The Cadets also earned six rushing touchdowns in the game, which was a Heart of Dallas Bowl record.
• Army rushed 74 times, which was a season high, beating the previous best of 72 set at UTEP on Sept. 17.
• Army finished with 46 rushing touchdowns on year, which broke previous record of 45 set by the 1945 NCAA Championship winning team.
• Army had two rushers with 100 yards or more in the same game for the third time this year.
• Bryce Holland has started all 13 games this season on the offensive line, the only lineman to do so.
• Brett Toth earned his 10th start of the year, while senior Josh Boylan made his second start at guard.
• Mike Houghton made his 19th career start.
• Rick Kurz made his ninth start of the season on the offensive line.
• Ahmad Bradshaw made his 19th career start at quarterback.
• Bradshaw ran for a career-long 65 yard touchdown in the third quarter.
• Bradshaw ran for over 100 yards for the fifth time in his career and third time in 2016.
• Army ran for 213 yards in the first quarter, the most in a first quarter by any team in a bowl game so far this year.
• The Black Knights scored first for the third-straight game and it also came on their opening drive.
• Darnell Woolfolk scored his eighth and ninth touchdown on the season, which is second on the team.
• Woolfolk scored multiple touchdowns for the second time in his career.
• It was the first time in bowl history that they had two 100-yard rushers (129 yards – Bradshaw, 119 yards – Woolfolk)
• Tyler Campbell ran for a 70-yard touchdown in the first quarter, which was a team high for 2016
• Campbell’s run was also a career high for the running back.
• Campbell had a career-long 38-yard reception in the first quarter.
• Xavier Moss made his 44th career start, the most of any Army player.
• Jeremy Timpf made his 37th consecutive start, the longest streak of any player.
• Timpf posted his fifth double-digit tackle game this season and 13th of his career.
• Timpf finished his career with 321 tackles, which is 9th all time.
• James Gibson came in at safety for an injured Moss in the second quarter. Moss did return.
• Elijah Riley recorded his second and third interceptions of the season and had his first career two-interception game.
• Army recorded 17 interceptions this season and had at least one in 10-of-13 games played.
• The Black Knights picked off two passes for the fifth time this year.
• The Black Knights forced at least one turnover in 12 games.
• J.D. Mote punted two times for 70 yards for an average of 35.0 yards.
• Blake Wilson was 1-for-2 on PAT attempts.
• Mitchell Howard kicked off 6 times for 344 yards for an average of 57.3 yards per kick.
• North Texas ran a successful fake punt during its first drive of the second half.